Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wounded Warrior Retreat







Pete and I attended a wounded warrior retreat in July and have another coming up in September.  I was recently visiting with VA Support Coordinator who works with families of PTSD veterans.  We were the first people she had met in Montana who have actually participated in this program.  

I have been aware of the Wounded Warrior Project for a couple of years.  They asked us to attend a University of Montana Grizzly Football game 2 years ago and my husband was one of those honored on the field before the game started.  I did not get the point of it all, but it was fun to attend a football game.

This time around, when our program director spoke the vision of the Wounded Warrior Project, I got it.


Vision of the Wounded Warrior Project:
To foster the most successful, well-adjusted generation of wounded service members in our nation's history.


At the end of the retreat, we sat together.  The program director started to reflect on how well the week had gone.  He started to cry, turned his head, tried to maintain his composure and hold back his tears.  I started crying.  When the last veteran spoke, there wasn't a veteran in the room who was not teared up.  The last veteran said, "I feel human again." I don't know all of his injuries, but he is visibly missing a leg.  

I know this is a short and simple post.  I have a very simple and short message.  If you have the opportunity to get involved with this project, do it.  It is awesome.  My love and blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment