Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Our Alaska Trip - Post 1 - Juneau

Hole in the Wall Glacier


As some of you recall, my friends house burned down a few months back.  She spent a couple of days in my kitchen telling me about all the things that burned up.  Her perspective was that she would never get to enjoy these lost things.  She was especially sad about her books.  After she left, I wondered what I had in my life that I was not enjoying today.  My top dream was to take all of my children on an Alaskan Cruise.  I coordinated schedules, booked the trip and my family boarded "The Oosterdam" for Alaska on August 12th. 

My daughter was worried about getting sea sick.  Our first day at sea was rough.  This is a coastal cruise so it is usually mild.  She got sick.  My son got sick.  I talked to an old time cruiser and he said this was the first time he had ever seen puke bags next to the elevators on a cruise.  Another teenager actually threw up right on the dining room table in the middle of dinner.  Our dining steward brought us sea sick pills and told my kids to take them, sleep and we would be in calm waters by morning.  Even some of the ships staff were sea sick.  Visiting around the ship, I soon found out that many of the younger people were very sea sick.  The next morning we were in calm water.  All around the Lido deck were young people eating huge plates of food.  They were pigging out on waffles, omelettes and eggs benedict.  Everyone's relief to be in calm waters created a festive spirit all around the ship.


Last summer Pete and I were on an Alaskan cruise. Our first port stop was Juneau.  Pete was so enthralled with the float planes that he stayed on the ship and watched them for hours. Several cruise ships dock in this port at the same time and there is sometimes a cruise ship anchored in the bay with tender boats running back and forth to the dock. The float planes just buzz in and out, one right after another. Pete kept saying, "this is unreal - watch these planes flying between these ships." Mesmorized, he turned his head to me and said, "someday I want to do that - be in one of those planes." Here is the link to the company that flies these planes. My husband took the seat in the cockpit next to the pilot and we flew up to Taku Lodge. It was a last minute decision to do the float plane thing and after we got back on the ship, I remembered that he wanted to know what it would be like to be in one of those planes.  We did see a few bears at the lodge.  Pete said, "I have never seen a bear before," as he secretly mocked all of the tourists who had never really seen a bear before.  Oh my!

Wings Airways - Juneau, Alaska


Back on the ship, I watched my children together who had been apart for almost a year.  Our times together now are temporary reunions as they move into adult lives and follow their dreams.  Ali's hair is black because she misses Ecuador.  There were only two kids on the ship with dreads - one of them being Lacey.  By the last day of the cruise, we were all moping about it being the end of the trip.  I laughed.  The first time I went on a cruise, I loved it so much that I decided before I got off the ship that I would do it again.  This time I decided I will do it again and again and again and again.  This trip shifted my thoughts so much because I had a dream that I was putting off and I stopped putting it off after my friend talked about the fire.  Sorry - can't help not have one spiritual message.  So what's after you do your most cherished dream, then what?  You keep dreaming and you keep adding things to your bucket list.  More posts coming on Alaska - but for now - on my bucket list - teach workshops on cruises.  - Space of Miracles - Energetic Healing - The Matrix Teachings - The Unseen Bridge Between Worlds - Retreats for PTSD families - hmmmmm.

Thank you Brenda for inspiring me to follow my dreams.  My love and Blessings to All! 



No comments:

Post a Comment